16 July 2008

Summer Entertainment!

My Favorite Summer Entertainment

5. It Goes There..Degrassi
, The N, Fridays, 8pm EST. The last batch of the "next generation" of this resuscitated Canadian teen drama of the '80s is gr
aduating, and there is no lack of crazyness, bizarre relationships, and trauma! I'm hoping Degrassi '09 lets all hell break loose this season!! P.S., check out Manny's sweet bangs that kind of look like mine after I have them trimmed up...


4. Movie Theaters Crank the AC...Mama Mia! In theaters July 18th. Ok, I am a sucker for ABBA, chick flicks with Meryl Streep, and a big messy wedding movie. And a musical? Sign me up!! Also, I love her wavy, wild blonde hair!! The costume designer was Ann Roth, and the ideal was to dress characters slightly fantastical while still maintaining an everyday aesthetic. Based on the posters, everything looks so breezy, it should be an airy treat!


3. Bzzz...Where did a
ll the bees go? They got stung by these bitches...Queen Bee, The N, Fridays, 8:30 P.M, EST. A good weekly catfight featuring snobby, over-dressed, over-groomed BEE-atches duking it out for a reward for their "nice" behavior? Its like a train wreck you just CANNOT miss! Plus the dynamics in the group are to die for, you've got the brats from Long Island or Texas who spend all of Daddy's money and believe the world revolves around them, ( some literally think they are heiresses-in training, throwing around lines like "Haha, I was like, silly Brody"!), to straight-up home girls fresh from the 'hood,whose mean activities include confiscating their boyfriends' paychecks to shop, lying and telling them they are knocked up to get more "pampering" and distributing their older sister's clothes to the entire school! No she didn't! Oh and let me tell you where being the America's Next Top Model cycle two winner can land you--- a gig on The -N placating a bunch of spoiled bitch-girls who are at each other's throats! That's right, its Yoanna House!!!! I don't remember her being terribly kind on that show, just passive. To successfully transform the psyco-narcissists-in heels, The-N brings in professional psychiatric assistance from The Tyra Banks Show, Dr. Michelle ( bet you Yoanna made a call... it went something like "Hello,Tyra? I need your help... OH WHAT YOU NEED YO YO YO ANNA?!". It is slightly disturbing to imagine that Tyra is left without a shrink whilst Dr. Michelle treats the ladies of Queen Bees, who are almost as deranged as Tyra, and equally shallow. Still, hopefully some of the shallowness will dissipate, but if not, its still hilarious!


2. Once upon a time...The Diving Bell and The Butterfly(2007) Billy commanded me to add this flick to number-one on my netflix queue. I am so glad I did. The movie, from France, is based on a memoir written by Jean-Dominique-Bauby. Bauby was an editor for French Elle before he suffered a massive stroke at age 43, paralyzing him everywhere except his eyelids and his intellect. Consequently, Bauby dictated his memoir to his nurse entirely by blinking his eye at letters of the alphabet, recited by her, to tediously form words. I admired her patience in the film. Like the memoir, then, the film is perceived entirely through Bauby's point of view. It includes stunning editing and visuals, particularly the scenes where he is imagining things. The movie is so beautiful and moving! Also, Bauby's ex-wife dresses tres Anthropology-French-Retro-Chic!




1. Make it Work vs. I've Got NO MONEY: The Battle for Best Summer Fashion Design Show...
The Seasoned Pro: Project Runway, Season five, Bravo, Wednesdays, 9 P.M. EST. Man, I am addicted. The show just premiered tonight. I get a little overwhelmed by the amount of initial designers on the show in the first few episodes. I think this season they should get rid of some of the unoriginals--some are Santino Rice/Daniel/Kit Pistol wannabes with their style and design aesthetics. On what other show could you watch a maxed-out rocker chick bitch and moan about the garbage bags that SHE chose(from an ENTIRE grocery store of materials!!) for her garment. Biker lady pretty much cried! Still, the best was that guy who created a serial killer outfit, complete with rubber gloves, and Kors called him out on it! Classic! This summer, I'll be glued to the TV for more "Watch What Happens" moments!
Bravotv.com , "What They Wore" Gallery
Sometimes I actually dig a designer's personal style. I like the edgy-romantic Kit Pistol look in season 4, for example. I was not aware about this feature until just now, but I apparently PR now has a little "street style" feature where the designers identify where their clothes came from. I think it gives the viewer a better sense of where they are coming from (like if all your shit is Gap, then you are clean, all-american, and possibly boring). I like Kenley's retro-style with her makeup and classic clothes, and for the dudes, I'm down with Daniel's look.




To wear a bikini, you must have a bust...The Newcomer Ashley Paige: Bikini Or Bust, TLC, Fridays, 10:00 EST. Did you know that you don't need money to be a famous designer? No, you just need a little spunk and creativity. You can only float along so long until money drains away though. That's what happened to Ms. Paige. I think the entire show is based on her freaking out over her admittedly cute, yet totally impracticable knitted beachwear. Still, I'd like one. I think since the taping of the show, she has found distributors/manufactures, because on her company website it says you can buy them in like Boston and New York. I feel bad for her mom, whom she treats like steer manure and for her befuddled employees, especially Juan, whom I think she takes advantage of. Still, the show is funny and I'm especially into her knitted designs. I knit myself, you know!

More than anything else, I enjoyed the dark, 1930's theme to the collection she showed at LA fashion week, ripple curls, dark lips, maroon, and defined eyes. Girly, yet totally sophisticated. For some reason it reminded me of La Vie En Rose. I think its her designs that rivet me.




Still Suffering
from the scandal of the summer scarf syndrome, day three!!! I know my beach look has been shown before, but that's what I did today! It was great except there were these giant-ass flies which bit me and created massive red welts on my left leg...ugh I guess its pants tomorrow in 88-degree weather about town!! Today Billy surrendered a lovely pair of black slouchy Levi's from Saver's that are so soft that don't fit him anymore!! I've been looking for loose, slouchy jeans for centuries!


No comments: