09 July 2008

Retro Beachwear

This past Monday was spent at the beach. I am very into one piece bathing suits. I am not trying to hide anything in them, I just like the chic, retro silhouette they afford. I know that this season there have been lots of pseudo vintage one pieces available at stores like Urban Outfitters, but some come off as too contrived for my taste. This brown suit, originally by Inc. at Macy's but unearthed amongst the racks at Marshall's is deliciously simple. Instead of $88, this one cost me $10! I like the thin straps, high-cut legs, and square neckline. It's lined with wiring which is just terrific for me. After being a bikini-wearer for years, I haven't stepped out in one all season! I think it looks especially good with my new ripoff pink wayfarers. I own classic black Rayban wayfarers, but their pink ones were too light in the lenses. These knockoff ones were cheap (as trendy things should be) and paired with my bathing suit, the effect is very Russel Stover strawberry creme chocolates. I wear a scarf every time I hit the beach, and lucky for me, I've got a hatbox full of vintage printed ones from my Mom. My hair was darkened recently and I don't want sun-bleached highlights to spoil it, but also, wearing a scarf on one's head stimulates stylish intrigue. Do it once and you'll be hooked. Finally, I must have my Forever 21 spotted coverup. My mom always has some funky coverup on, and I always adored them growing up. This one is very 70s or 60s to me and I love the fun colors, and the tan compliments my brown suit. Getting ready for the beach is fun, because things don't really have to match, they just sort of go together. With a little creativity, you'll find yourself branching away from the typical tank + cutoffs+ball cap combo and into a more fun, interesting beachside look!


suit: Inc, at Marshall's
sunnies: Newbury Comics
sandles: small accessory shop on Newbury St., Boston
scarf: Mom


cover-up: forever 21




Lemonade: Del's, a summertime tradition
Pretzel: what I ate for lunch that day, yum!
Vogue: timeless beach reading
Straw bag: fits everything, looks great, mine's from my Bf's mom and comes from the Philippines
Scarf: vintage and colorful
tunic: polka dots rule
suit: This one's from Land's End.
sandals: delicate daisies!
sunblock: I burn so quickly!
scarf: I've got a few favs for the beach on hand
sunnies: chic and bright!
tunic: floaty and fabulous!
book: Anna Karenina, Leo Tolstoy. I'm too old for summer reading, but I make my own from the book, 1001 Books You Must Read Before you die by Peter Boxall.








1 comment:

Laalie Pink said...

awww i love this!!! i really need to visit this summer so we can go to the beach & drink dells lemonade!!!